Online reading volunteer
Scan me or visit www.deedmob.com/o/Bookmark-Reading-Charity/opportunities/Online-reading-volunteer/38280 to join
SummaryAs a Bookmark online reading volunteer, you’ll help a 5-8 year-old learn to read, so that they can succeed in school and beyond.
You’ll help a 5-8 year-old learn to read, developing their skills and confidence. You will read together, play games, and see your reader progress, all through our secure online platform.
Our programme involves 30-minute sessions with the same child, twice a week, for six weeks. You book your programme through the Bookmark app and select sessions at times that work with your schedule.
Is volunteering with Bookmark right for me?
Our volunteers are all ages and from all walks of life. At Bookmark we aim to make volunteering accessible to as many people as possible, so we can help more children.
- Are you over 18 and currently living in the UK?
- Are you passionate about literacy and its importance?
- Are you able to show enthusiasm, encouragement, empathy and patience?
- Can you commit to two 30-minute sessions a week, for six consecutive weeks?
- Are you willing to complete at least 3 six-week programmes a year?
- Can you provide two references for your application (for safeguarding reasons)?
- Do you have access to a PC, laptop or Chromebook with a webcam and internet connection (iPads, phones and tablets are not compatible), and do you feel relatively comfortable using technology?
- If NO, then you can still apply to be to volunteer on our face-to-face programmes in future - our team will be in touch once it is safe to resume these.
- Are you planning to volunteer from a work computer? Check here to see if you can access our reading platform
To find out more read our volunteer role description and our frequently asked questions.
What we will provide to volunteers🤝 Extra support
About Bookmark Reading Charity
These children often struggle in school, and beyond. Reading isn’t just about books. It’s about reading a road sign, a safety manual, a birthday card. It’s understanding a job application, the latest Covid-19 guidance or an important letter from your bank.
We give children the reading skills and confidence they need for a fair chance in life, through our flexible volunteer-led programme.