Imagine that after having walked 6,000 kilometers you will find that you have lost your house key and that you are standing in front of a closed door. That is exactly what happens to glass eels. Glass eels are young eels. Tiny and yet able to tragically swim across the ocean to reach the Dutch waters. But we have dikes, flood defenses and many other blockades. So unfortunately glass eel. Or not?
For the past few years, there has been a small army of volunteers from RAVON going on a nightly adventure every spring. At more than 40 places along the Dutch coast they go on an expedition with cross nets. To count how many glass eels there are and to see where the animals must be helped to end up in Dutch waters.
As a Trainee you can join an expedition. You help save the eel, get to know the teams and you can use your experiences to advise RAVON how we can keep this small army of volunteers in action in the coming years.
In short: your commitment
- Going out on a nightly investigation to find glass eels, counting and discovering where they have trouble entering Dutch waters so that they can be fixed.
- Get to know the existing network of volunteers, think about how it can be improved and try out a few of your options.
In short: your impact
You help in 2 ways to save a seriously endangered species. With your own hands and with your head by thinking about how the volunteer network can be made stronger. In this way, we can continue to understand these animals in the best possible way, protect them and restore the number.
Mondays. Sometimes in the evening when you go exploring.
What do we offer?
The Green Traineeship gives you
- a unique opportunity to gain knowledge and experience at a national project organization in the field of nature, education and sustainability;
- professional guidance;
- collaborate with a group of 10 trainees
- relevant training and workshops;
- an upgrade of your network;
- a creative environment where you can discover and deploy your talent;
- the ability to turn ideas into implementation;
- a volunteer allowance of max. 170 euros per month or travel allowance.
So are you:
- Between 16 and 30 years old?
- Ready to increase your impact?
- Available from 01-02-2020 to 20-06-2020 (± 8 per week)?
Then sign up quickly!
RAVON Nijmegen consultation location, possible project regions: Zeeland, South Holland, North Sea Canal Region, Wadden Sea Region.
Maurice Kooiman, email@example.com / 06-30815232
About Groen Traineeship
You can find general information about the Green Traineeship on www.groentraineeship.nl.
The preproposal for block 3 is open! The projects will be announced at the end of March.