Reading books in Grave
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
No, you're not going to read to anyone. You are going to read a book in a professional recording studio, so that someone who is blind, visually impaired or for example dyslexic can listen to "your" book. In Grave we have eleven recording studios in which we read novels of all shapes and sizes; children's books, young adult and adult novels, from chick-lit to detective and from regional novel to serious literature. If you enjoy reading books and you would like to become one of our reading heroes, then read on.
WHERE AND WHEN YOU GET STARTED ?
Books are read aloud in Grave from Monday to Thursday evening between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. Sometimes a studio is available on Saturday morning. In consultation with one of our planners, a studio will be reserved for you, preferably on a weekly basis, on one of these evenings.
WHAT DO WE ASK FROM YOU?
- You enjoy reading.
- You are 17-30 years old.
- You have at least completed your havo.
- You are prepared to read your first book in any case, preferably a reading of 2.5 hours each week. You can read a book of medium size in this way in about half a year.
- You can read well and clearly.
- You like to work with your voice and language
- Your voice must be able to talk for two consecutive hours.
WHAT DO YOU GET IT BACK?
- You gain experience with recording technology.
- You learn what it's like to do voice auditing.
- You will receive training on how to use your voice.
- You learn to operate the buttons in the studio.
- You gain new knowledge and work experience.
- You get to know other voice heroes and reading enthusiasts.
- You get a glimpse into the kitchen of our recording studios and experience what it's like to be part of an oiled schedule.
- You get on apply for a recognized certificate if you read at least 50 hours or record one book.
- You will be reimbursed for travel expenses if you do not have a student account.
- And of course the nice feeling that because of your effort someone with a visual or other reading disability can simply enjoy a book.
HOW DOES THE INTRODUCTION TRAVEL OUT?
- If your digital voice test (see below) meets the conditions, you will be invited for a more extensive audition in our studios in Grave. You will be received by one of our voice coaches and you will be reading different types of texts. The voice coach pays attention to various things, such as intelligibility, reading comprehension and voice condition.
- If you are hired after the audition you come for a first training moment by a voice coach together with a group of starting readers, just like you. This is a predetermined date on a Saturday morning. Getting acquainted, listening to each other and learning from each other, trying things out with your voice, etc. Everything in a relaxed and cheerful atmosphere.
- After this, you pick out a book together with your coach and arrange three studio sessions in which you start your book together with your coach. You learn to make choices about interpretation and you learn something about studio technology. After these three sessions under the guidance of your coach, you continue reading independently in your book. However, the coach, and also a recording engineer, are always present and can be approached for help and advice.
Although we always try to take that into account that suits you and what you like, it may happen that you have to read a book that does not interest you. But you do this to give someone else the opportunity to read what they want. The challenge for you is to read such a text in an attractive way.
HOW TO REPORT YOU ON?
Are you the reading hero we are looking for? Then sign up by sending us a digital voting test. You can read how to do this below.
- Download this text and prepare it for.
- Open or download a dictaphone or voice recorder app on your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
- Record the text and save it if you are satisfied.
- Select the recording in the app and choose the 'Share' option and choose to share via email.
- Give the subject the title 'Grave reading hero'.
Put a short motivation, your name, education, work experience and mobile phone number in the message and send it to Marja, Jeroen and Mark (our voice coaches) via stemtestgrave @ dedicon. com.
One of them will contact you if your voice is suitable for reading. If that is the case, we invite you to the extensive audition.
About Stichting Dedicon
Zo hebben we in 2018 2.523 edities van allerlei kranten en tijdschriften voorgelezen. En ook nog eens meer dan 2.300 romans en schoolboeken tot audioboek gemaakt! Daarnaast maken we ook hele andere bijzondere dingen. Zoals de eerste Donald Duck voor blinde kinderen en voelbare plattegronden van de Noord/Zuidlijn in Amsterdam.
Je snapt, dat kunnen we niet alleen. Daarom zijn we op zoek naar jou: voorleeshelden met een jonge stem waar jongeren met een leesbeperking graag naar luisteren. Ben jij tussen de 17 en 30 jaar en wil jij één van de ruim 300 ‘Onzichtbare helden’ worden? Kijk dan hier bij onze vacatures voor één van onze vrijwillige heldenfuncties.
Val je niet binnen deze leeftijdscategorie, maar wil je toch helpen? Kijk dan op www.ikhoorjegraag.nl voor de mogelijkheden.